Twin Day

Twin Day

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wednesday,  September 5

Today students finished setting up their aquariums and then tested the ammonia and nitrite.  These values will be used to set a base line from which they will monitor change.

Ammonia Test kit

Students will use ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to follow the  nitrogen cycle in the tanks.  Fish excrete waste in the form of amonia into the water.  Bacterial supplement  added to the aquarium will break down the ammonia into nitrite, then a second type of bacteria break the nitrate down into nitrate.  The nitrate is a form of nitrogen that plants can use as fertilizer.   Students add submerged and free floating plants to their aquarium to take up the nitrate.    This works really well and once it is established it helps cut down on the number of water changes and also helps conserve water.

The nitrogen cycle has always been difficult for students to understand but they can accually see how the cycle works by watching the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels change over time.



This fall I am testing a new plant I bought from Rift to Reef store.  It is called pennywort.  It is suppose to grow as fast as duckweed.  Duckweed has been placed on the aquatic invasive species list in some states.  It grows really fast and covers the surface of the water.   I don't usually have that problem in class because the fish eat it.  My main problem is that it clogs the filters.  I am hoping the larger plant solves this problem. 



Pennywort

I had each group put one plant in their aquarium and we will monitor how long it takes to double.




Teacher Tank



I set up a tank in the classrom so that the students have an idea how to build a habitat.  It is fun to watch the fish in this tank.   As the  year goes along  I will get rid of the gold fish and add other tropicals. I lucked into this tank.  Our new principal didn't want to pay for saltwater service so I got the tank for my class. 


Big Mama our pregnant blue crayfish


Here is a picture of our pregnant blue crayfish.   She has been adopted by one of my students.  They will monitor her over her pregnancy.  She and "Little Boy" mated last Saturday.  She sure loves her little log home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment