Twin Day

Twin Day

Monday, September 24, 2012

Algae and Water Quality

Monday, September 24

This week we are focusing on algae and macroinvertebrates.  Algae is a cheap, easy and quick way to assess the quality of a lotic (standing) water source.  These algae can cause blooms that are a problem for water treatment plants and also for classroom aquariums. 



Diatom

Oscillatoria

Volvox

I usually collect samples from slow creeks or small ponds. Anywhere there is a lot of algae along the shoreline.  Once collected I bring the water source back to class and place it in shallow white trays so that the organisms are easy to see.  It helps to have both a microscope and a dissecting school on each lab stations.  The microscope helps identify algae and small organisms that live in the algae.  The dissecting scope makes it easier to observe large macroinvertebrates and beetles that live in the water.





I enjoy this lab because most students have never looked at pond water before and they are surprised by all the things one can find in the water  and the algae. This week I am going to have them try and take pictures of the organisms by placing the camera of their phone over the eyepiece of the microscope.  I have had some luck with it in past years.  I will also try and collect images using my digital microscope.

No comments:

Post a Comment